Oatmeal - Homemade Baby Food

Banana Oatmeal .... yummm

We chose to completely skip rice cereal with Gavin. Why? Because (long story short) it's totally unnecessary and not at all of any nutritional value!! I wasn't going to feed Gavin something that's just a "filler", and not nutritionally benefiting him. So, his very first foods were avocado, banana and sweet potato (and he LOVED them all!).  
I'm just now introducing him to oatmeal (he's currently 7 months old). 

(I pretty much followed the oatmeal recipe from The Best Homemade Baby Food on the Planet...I highly recommend this book for anyone who's going to make homemade baby food)

Here's How I Make It:

1. Using thick rolled organic oats (not the "quick cook"!!) I take about 1 cup and blend them in my blender. I blend it until it looks like a powder pretty much. I store the blended oats in a sealed glass container. 1 serving is only 2 tablespoons (which = 1oz)... so blending this amount will last you awhile.

2. In a small pot or sauce pan, I bring 3/4 cup water to a boil. As soon as it starts to boil I add in 1/4 cup of the ground up oats, and reduce the heat to a simmer. I use a whisk and stir almost constantly for about 5-10 minutes... until the oatmeal is cooked and soft. The dry "powder" consistency of the oatmeal, turns to a chunky/creamy consistency once cooked! I was surprised the first time! :) 
*Since a single serving is only 2 tablespoons, I put the extra cooked oatmeal in a sealed glass container and store it in the fridge to use over the next few days! 

3. I choose to add banana, peach, apple, or pear to the oatmeal for some added flavor, otherwise the oatmeal itself is pretty bland! After I add in the fruit, if the consistency is too thick, I add some breast milk until I get the consistency I want. 

There you have it. 
Another awesome and easy homemade food for your baby! 
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9

Post Signature

Post Signature